Monday, June 20, 2016

Thin Cuts Masking Technique


Hello and welcome aboard our Thin Cuts Australasian Close to My Heart Blog Hop.

If you have arrived here from Vandra's Blog then you are in the right place.

If you landed here by accident, no problem, please join in by following the link at the end of this post.

Today I would like to share with you a creation which features Close To My Heart’s Thin Cuts. These are dies you can use in your Cuttlebug that coordinate with our stamp sets.

A great way to use these thin cuts is to cut a stamped image out for a project, but today I thought I would share something a little different.

I started off by cutting out a white banner and stamping this adorable bunny and sentiment in Archival Black Ink.



When the ink was dry, I did a quick touch of watercolouring to add some interest to the bunny.



Now, usually you would cut out the stamped and coloured image but I wanted to try a different technique. I cut the matching bunny out of computer paper using the Thin Cuts and my Cuttlebug.



I then put some of our temporary adhesive on the cut out piece of paper, and used it as a mask over the stamped bunny image. I then started sponging some Crystal Blue Ink out from the masked image.



Here is the bunny with the mask removed, and you can see that it has left a lovely crisp outline so that the sponging frames the stamped image.



Here is my bunny on the finished card. I accented the banner with some Flamingo Dots and Calypso paper, and also added some stamped triangles from the Crazy Good stamp set,.



This technique would also look fantastic with the new Flamingo Thin Cuts we have available!

I'd love you to leave a comment before heading off to the next stop, Shaunna's Blog.

9 comments:

  1. Nice technique Lauren. Thanks for the instructions. I can't wait to try it with my flamingos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card, and the instructions are a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun way to just have one layer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I like it! Thank you 😆

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great demo on how to make this. I can't wait to have a play with my thin cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! The I hadn't thought of doing this before. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this technique - so easy to cut the mask with the thin cut too. Great instructions too - very easy to follow. Love how you created the background on you sweet card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!